WorkCover Patient

Visiting Your Doctors: What to expect as a WorkCover Patient

If you’ve been injured at work, one of the first things you should do is seek medical treatment from a workers comp doctor. This can be a confusing and overwhelming experience, especially if it’s your first time visiting a doctor for a work related injury. In this blog post, we will discuss what to expect when visiting your doctors when you’ve had a work related injuries. We will cover topics such as what is Work Cover, when you should seek medical treatment and what to expect at your appointments. We hope this information will help make the process easier for you!

Quick Guide:


What is Work Cover?

WorkCover was a state-based workers’ compensation scheme in Australia. It provided financial and other assistance to workers who were injured at work, or who contracted an illness at work. WorkCover also provided benefits to the families of workers who are killed as a result of their employment. In 2015 WorkCover was replaced by three agencies, Safework NSW, iCare, and SIRA.

How do I make a claim?

If you have sustained a workplace injury, you will need to notify your employer as soon as possible. Your employer will then notify their workers’ compensation insurer, who will contact you to discuss your workers compensation claim.

When do I see a doctor?

You should seek immediate medical attention if the injury or illness is severe, if the injury is not as severe but inhibits your ability to work seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Your doctor will assess your injuries and provide you with a certificate of capacity and treatment plan. The certificate will need to be updated by the same doctor every 28 days so it is important to return to the same doctor.

What happens at my appointment?

Your first appointment with your doctor will be to discuss your work related injury, whether they are physical injuries or a psychological injury, and how it has affected you. The doctor will ask about your symptoms, how the injury occurred, and any pre-existing conditions you have. They will also carry out a physical examination. After the examination, your doctor will discuss their findings with you and provide you with a certificate of capacity. The certificate will state what work you are able to do and any restrictions that have been placed on you. If your doctor thinks you need further treatment, they may refer you to a specialist or for tests such as X-rays or ct scans.

What are the next steps?

After your first visit, you will need to keep seeing your doctor for regular appointments to receive treatment. Your doctor will need to update your certificate of capacity at each appointment. You may also need to see other specialists, such as physiotherapists, occupational therapists, or psychologists. You will also need to keep in contact with your employer and employer’s insurance company to make sure they stay up to date with your progress and so they will know when you can return to work.

Have you had an injury at work? Contact Shire Doctors and Dentists today.

We understand that having a work related injury can be stressful and confusing. Our team of experienced general practitioners and dentists can help you through the worker’s compensation claim process, every step of the way. Contact us today so we can provide an independent medical examination and help you return to work as soon as possible.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us